Skip to main content

October

One of the best things about Houston is that it has the most amazing fall and spring. You can be sweating all the way to Halloween, but it will tease you with amazing days. Which means that on the first weekend of October... you can go to the beach and have the whole of it to yourself. We invited our friends and had a glorious time jumping the waves and the water this time might have actually looked blue.

Texas is not known for it's beautiful beaches, but it is a wonderful place to enjoy each other and it just so happened that on this trip, it was beautiful...We even found a little crab swimming in our man dug tide pool. :)
After 10 years of trying to make my desire for red accents go with this olive green church, I finally found a color scheme I love. I repainted all the red things gold and Deep navy blue and accented with grays and lighter blues. It turned out beautiful.
I even painted that lampshade in the picture.... :) Ignore the chaos that is totally a creative person's tiny space.
We always take family Halloween shots. This year we didn't coordinate very well, but we all loved our costumes.
 Nate did his own this year. He thought he'd be a mummy which turned out to be much more of a process than he had previously envisioned... He cut a couple of old lab coats into strips, dyed them with tea bags and then tried sewing them onto an old t-shirt. The sewing he thought he could complete in a matter of 15 minutes, he was wrong so he ended up looking more like a zombie than a mummy. But I think he looks pretty good.
 These are my favorite because the kids get so into character.
 Yeah, he thinks he's pretty scary.
 I totally adored who Aria wanted to be for Halloween this year. She's atypical, that's for sure, but it turned out beautiful. Can you guess?
 Yep, she's the young maleficent.
 Which actually turns out to be just a brown fairy with horns.
 And wings... I'm pretty proud of those wings... made out of cardboard and coffee filters.
 Jeff wanted to be Captain America.
 I did something atrocious and actually bought his costume this year.
 From costco.
 Best 12.99 I ever spent.
 He was so happy. We actually think he looks a lot like captain america even without his mask.
 I just saw this cool spider cape on pinterest and knew I just had to try...
 The cape was super fun... and I found some fun spider tights and a black tiara.
 I did some fun make-up too.

A friend of mine is starting a make-up business, pretty much all self taught so far, but I think she did a great job with my face.... it's actually kind of a challenging one, but I definitely loved what she did. I am now getting a little more adventurous with my eyeliner now.. :)
The week before Halloween we went to the zoo with a friend. We found out one of Aria's dear friends had chosen to be Aurora (from the new Maleficent movie) and we knew we had to get them together for this photo. They didn't plan it but it ended up being adorable.

Zoo boo is so fun!
Her Mom has become one of my dearest friends here. I'm so glad we met the first day of school here and our girls have always done well together.
Nate and I got invited to a super fun Murder mystery party thrown by my friend Mindy. She always does the best parties. It just so happened we were living in the 1920s so I had to give finger curls a try.
A regular speak-easy. :)
I went and helped with Aria's field day. You can tell she really enjoys school. She really enjoys all the time she gets with her friends. This is Charlotte and Arian. I think... This is the second year in a row she's had an Arian in her class. What are the chances? I thought I was giving her a unique name. Apparently it's a very popular boys name in Indian culture.
Halloween night... here's the make-up up close.
We went trick-or-treating old fashioned style this year. We loved it! It felt more like my childhood as I remember it. We had the Adamsons over for dinner before and then we went to a neighborhood nearby where we had a bunch of friends. It was fun to feel like we knew people too. The one downside sometimes to big cities is that it can sometimes feel so anonymous. You never know anybody and you never run into anybody you know at the grocery store.

Yep we're cool. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

brian head, service projects, devin's home #welovesummer

We love our pools. Especially with friends. Here we are trying to convince Nate he can do a front flip. He still doesn't believe me.  #thiswasthebestone   #jeffjustwentupanddidit   #overandover   #unafraid   #doesntcarewhatpeoplethink   #wishididnt  # summerlovin Independence day kickball. I made it home once but I also fell on my backside trying to kick it once.  #facepalm   #soembarrassing   #happy4th   #wealsowatchedbeautyandthebeast   #playedgames   #plantedflowers   #fireworks   #rootbeerfloats   #happybirthdayamerica   #americathebeautifu l   #thisishisglorywalk "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." -John F. Kennedy//  #degas   #mfah   #letfreedomring #wereallinthistogether   #becausebeauty ...

band wagon

To better suit my purposes, I have decided to make this more of a journal. That's what it is anyway, but I see no reason to allow random people to see it. I am going *private* Please leave your email if you are even a casual observer at the happenings in the Pettit household. You are welcome any time. The change will happen one month from today. 

natural wonders and disasters

"I've never been so alone, alone, and I've, and I've never been so alive. So alive." - Motorcycle Drive-by - Third Eye Blind //How we feel. All the time. Glad we could share a little piece of our hearts today with the senior center. They all knew "You Are My Sunshine" which made my heart Happy.  #music   #thismanandhisguitar #wooshearts   #lovehim   #evieproject #evielaree  one of the residents told us to look up a video on YouTube about Amazing Grace. He thought we would like it.  #forreal   #howcouldheknow #n8lovesthirdeyeblind   #ilovehimforit   Also my friend intends to "adopt a grandma here". What a great idea. I can't wait to find out how it goes.  #opa Jeff thinks it's fun to get up with the sun. Apparently it's starting to wear on him because this is what I woke up to this morning.  #goodmorning   #goodmorning   #asleepagainalready   #itsgreattostayoutlate We signed up to help at the Houston food Ban...