Skip to main content

In Loving Memory

LeOna Lucille Titcomb Swallow
12-12-1932 ~ 9-4-2008

Grandma and My Mom
What an amazing woman! We found out that she passed away yesterday afternoon. She has always been an example of great strength and independence. I will be putting things that I remember about her below, but for a quick story: About 15 years ago (when I was 8) she had a stroke that affected the right side of her body and her speech. She had strong will and fought to continue walking and talking. She did so, pretty well, until a few years ago. She still had a smile that could light up a room and I loved spending time with her. I'm grateful for the memories I have of her and I know that she is definitely serving a greater purpose on the other side. A few of my favorite pictures:

with my daughter Aria, and with my Grandpa at my sister's wedding 1 month ago.

Favorite Memories:
  • She took me to her fourth grade class with her, I drew a windmill
  • Shortly before her stroke - we went to go pick her up and she was in her nightgown. Grandma in her nightgown? She really was sick.
  • Despite the fact she had the most difficult time speaking, she had no problem singing many of our church hymns that she knew by heart.
  • I loved that she always called me Ruby or LaRae and never by my real name.
  • I remember getting after her for getting mad at my Grandpa. She'd stick her nose up in the air and say 'Well, then." :)
  • I remember one of the best parts of going to Kanab was that we could go to physical therapy with her. She was SO Strong.
  • She could still beat me in an arm wrestle.
  • I remember painting her toe nails for her.
  • Before she had her stroke, she always got her nails done. I LOVED it when she tickled my back.
  • She always wanted to do things herself.
  • Once I was making spaghetti for them while I was staying there and she wanted to help so I had her make sure the noodles didn't stick to each other. The spoon melted in the water because it was plastic and she held it up and looked at me - If she would have said something by that look, she would have said, "I think you're crazy!". I started laughing and we both laughed together.
  • I don't know how she did it, but she always won Spades.
  • I remember sleeping with her when we went to visit, before and after the stroke.
Note: Show someone you love that you love them. Give them an extra hug and kiss.

Comments

Ben & Kirsten said…
What a sweet remembrance of your grandma! I'm sorry to hear she passed away, but it sounds like she definitely is doing good on the other side! :) You're lucky to have such wonderful memories!

We live in Costa MEsa, Orange County area. We like our ward...but I have stories I could share :) Thinking about relocating??? I HOPE SO!!!
Your grandma looks and sounds like she was one of those grandma's that you always love to visit. It is good to read about her, and to think of the memories I have with my grandma. I'm sorry to hear about her passing, but it's a comforting feeling to know she is serving a greater purpose on the other side.
Anonymous said…
well no one can doubt she was loved very much by those she touched.

Popular posts from this blog

band wagon

To better suit my purposes, I have decided to make this more of a journal. That's what it is anyway, but I see no reason to allow random people to see it. I am going *private* Please leave your email if you are even a casual observer at the happenings in the Pettit household. You are welcome any time. The change will happen one month from today. 

overwhelmed, excited and bummed

Had an ultrasound yesterday of my already adorable and chubby baby boy. I really just want to squeeze his cheeks. and I think I'm ready to squeeze his cheeks tomorrow. Because he was being so good during the ultrasound, the sonographer wanted to practice some 4d pictures with our baby. Hooray for free! He definitely looks like a sibling. We're so excited to meet this little guy. However in this ultrasound we found out our baby weighs about 10 lbs. right now. I knew he was big, but I was a little overwhelmed at his size. Because of my previous situation, my doctor said that it is now pretty much impossible to try a VBAC. I have to admit that I'm a little bummed. For my own sake I wanted to list some pros and cons pros: A scheduled delivery date and time no hours and hours of labor I won't have the possibility of breaking my pelvis. Or LOTS of tearing I have a great doctor Healthy baby and a healthy mommy Cons: I won't be able to give a try at Vaginal delivery My baby...

crazy, crazy, CRAZY!

Seriously! I feel like I've been running like a chicken with my head cut off or rather with my head in the toilet. I'm finally past the 1st trimester blues... in case you had to read that sentence again... yes, we're expecting! and we're so thrilled. I'm about 16 weeks along and here's a little picture of the lima bean at 8 weeks. I'm due Feb. 28... We find out boy or girl in 3 weeks! yay! Daddy has been super busy in more ways than one. Aria would tell you 'He be on Tonga!' He had an incredible experience. Ask him about it if you get the chance. Here's a few pics of the beautiful island. And no you can't have my handsome husband. Don't worry, he's proud of his super cool glasses.... They get to host a $900 loops light that he won at a dental fair. Yay for winning something super awesome! I'm used to seeing the red rock natural arches and bridges... this one looks super cool too. What Nate calls the 'natural bellagio' - bl...