Skip to main content

Is our house still home

 We got a puppy! Oh how I hated and loved her simultaneously. I'd kind of been looking on craigslist for dogs for quite some time, even before we lost Evie, just because I knew we wanted to have a dog that could be a part of the kids' life. I told the kids that we could look into getting one when Evie got a little older... I was not doing puppy and baby at the same time. One of the first things the kids asked me when I got home from the hospital after delivering Evie was "Does this mean we can get a dog?" The answer was "yes!" So I started scouting. This was the first dog we went and looked at. We saw her listed on Craigslist. We wanted one that was medium small and non-shedding, which limited our breeds. We didn't need a full bread, but we need to make sure she wouldn't shed. Anything yorkie, shih tzu, lhasa apso, maltese, poodle, etc. We found her and thought her picture looked a little ragged but we were excited to just meet her. We took the kids. The home she was in, was less than sanitary but she was much loved by her owners. They even cried when we took her home. The first visit, we left, unsure about our decision. Well, really I was unsure, we hadn't looked at ANY other dogs. But we fell in love with her. She was sweet and affectionate. and we went back the next day to pick her up. I forget that she was this black when we bought her. She's lightened up a lot since we got her.

https://instagram.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/t51.2885-15/e35/13584049_1727737750829146_532583103_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTI4OTE0MDg2MjIzNTc3NDUyMg%3D%3D.2

Meet Hazel. #furbaby #whoknewpickinganamecouldbesodifficult The moment we've been putting off for years finally happened. We brought home our very own puppy #shorkie #12weeks We told the kids that we could get a puppy when Eve #evielaree got a little older(not doing puppy and baby at the same time.) so when I came home from the hospital without my baby in my arms, the kids, with tears in their eyes said "now can we get a puppy?" I instantly agreed. #puppytherapy #itdoesntfixit #istillmissevie #buthazelhelps jeff said "having a puppy is better than I thought it would be" aria prayed last night "thankful that Hazel could fit in our family so perfectly." #blessed

 Little did I know the kind of stress she would create for me over the next few months. Our first mountain to climb was the fleas!! She had fleas. Nothing freaks Nate out more than lice-like creatures. Poor thing came into our home and got about 10 baths. poor thing. But now she's mostly agreeable when it comes to taking them.
 She rode home in her cute little bed right between the kids. But we got fleas all over it and there was no way, Nate was going to let her use that again, so we sent it to goodwill.

She loved to chew, but she's a quick learner so she quickly discovered these raw-hide bones. She LOVES these. When she was this stage it would take her probably a week to get through it. Now she's done with it in about 20 minutes.
If she gets in trouble, she often hides under this ottoman. She was definitely eyeing those duplos. yum.yum.
 We're still potty training and she chews on everything so you have to watch her like a hawk. She chewed through her first crate (It had fabric sides) so we had to get her a new one.
 
When we first got her I thought she would be more of a companion, emotional help, and distraction than I thought. She is all of those things but she wasn't able to replace any part of Evie for me. Which I found a little bit frustrating. But the longer we've had her the more I realize that she is going to be a really good fit for our family. She is sweet and playful. And generally calm. We're taking her on an airplane with us... Should be exciting. I've never flown with a dog before.


They're crazy.
I remember he 4th of July being somewhat momentous. It was our first holiday without her. I wrote this about the experience. Still missing you like crazy baby girl! #evielaree #1holidaydown #waytoomanytogo #gladicouldcarryyouwithme #ihavethebestfriends #youllalwaysbewithme
They had way better fireworks than we've ever had. At times it might have been a little scary. But seriously. It was fun to get out.
 
 
We have been drawn more to family history work these past few weeks. We taught the kids about indexing for one of our fhe's and they got so into it. It was fun to see.
I started this cross-stich for Evie before we lost her. I didn't know at the time that she wouldn't be with us in our daily life, but I'm glad I had the majority of it finished before she died. Otherwise, I don't know if I would have finished it.
It was fitting that I chose this one for Evie. #icarriedherALLofherlife But reading this scripture last night in our family study brought great light into a dark week. "And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen. And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy;" #1ne8:12-13 #evieismyfruit #rewardinheaven #evielaree #ijusthavetowait 😕 #mydreamcatcher #thankheavensistarteditbeforeshedied  My Mom helped me pick out a frame for it. It turned out beautifully.

Nate's new favorite series is the series by Nathan Hale. #graphicnovels Somehow he roped the kids into it too and they can't get enough. #treatiestrenchesmudandblood #wwi #sweetdreamsaremadeofthese #ithelpsthatnatedoesthevoices #shorkie #misshazel #lilmissaria #myjeffyboy #n8man #justmissingmydreamcatcher #yepstillmissingevie

This is just a small sampling of all that we received for Evie. I could not have imagined how many people loved us. The outpouring of flowers, messages, cards, gifts and even hugs has been astonishing. I honestly feel that at times I've been literally carried. At other times someone shows up with exactly what I need. God has been watching.

So began the Evie project:

In an effort to honor #evielaree I wanted to pass on this gift of love to others around us. We are starting "The Evie Project". It's small and tiny acts of service, documented. When you feel inspired to serve we want it documented. When others have answered your prayer, tell us. I want others to feel the light of our beautiful Eve.

If you want to feel love, her love, the love of our Savior, decide to do something today. For now my act will be monthly. Ideas include: making a meal for someone, or a loaf of bread, showing up at someone's house unannounced just to give a hug, flowers, indexing, a visit to the temple, volunteering at a shelter, food to a homeless person, send a card for no reason, play/sing a song, just find something you can give.

May her life be a light to small acts of service. She was tiny but a tremendous act of service to me and all those she touched. #white #pure #sweet #evielaree #theevieproject

And - one last Hazel video - cause she's cute. :) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

band wagon

To better suit my purposes, I have decided to make this more of a journal. That's what it is anyway, but I see no reason to allow random people to see it. I am going *private* Please leave your email if you are even a casual observer at the happenings in the Pettit household. You are welcome any time. The change will happen one month from today. 

overwhelmed, excited and bummed

Had an ultrasound yesterday of my already adorable and chubby baby boy. I really just want to squeeze his cheeks. and I think I'm ready to squeeze his cheeks tomorrow. Because he was being so good during the ultrasound, the sonographer wanted to practice some 4d pictures with our baby. Hooray for free! He definitely looks like a sibling. We're so excited to meet this little guy. However in this ultrasound we found out our baby weighs about 10 lbs. right now. I knew he was big, but I was a little overwhelmed at his size. Because of my previous situation, my doctor said that it is now pretty much impossible to try a VBAC. I have to admit that I'm a little bummed. For my own sake I wanted to list some pros and cons pros: A scheduled delivery date and time no hours and hours of labor I won't have the possibility of breaking my pelvis. Or LOTS of tearing I have a great doctor Healthy baby and a healthy mommy Cons: I won't be able to give a try at Vaginal delivery My baby...

crazy, crazy, CRAZY!

Seriously! I feel like I've been running like a chicken with my head cut off or rather with my head in the toilet. I'm finally past the 1st trimester blues... in case you had to read that sentence again... yes, we're expecting! and we're so thrilled. I'm about 16 weeks along and here's a little picture of the lima bean at 8 weeks. I'm due Feb. 28... We find out boy or girl in 3 weeks! yay! Daddy has been super busy in more ways than one. Aria would tell you 'He be on Tonga!' He had an incredible experience. Ask him about it if you get the chance. Here's a few pics of the beautiful island. And no you can't have my handsome husband. Don't worry, he's proud of his super cool glasses.... They get to host a $900 loops light that he won at a dental fair. Yay for winning something super awesome! I'm used to seeing the red rock natural arches and bridges... this one looks super cool too. What Nate calls the 'natural bellagio' - bl...